From Alabama Hills to Mammoth Lakes to South Tahoe
So, you’re engaged—congratulations! Better yet, you and your fiancé have decided to elope in the great outdoors. There are so many glorious places to choose from, it can be a bit overwhelming.
If you are looking for suggestions, you can’t beat the Eastern Sierra region in California which stretches from Alabama Hills to Mammoth Lakes to South Tahoe.
The Eastern Sierra: A Home For Adventurers
When I first traveled to the Eastern Sierra, I had no idea what was in store. But after three days of hot springs, hiking, and exploring I was hooked. The Eastern Sierra became a second home to me—wonderful for a short weekend getaway or a weeks-long vacation.
Since then, I’ve traveled to the area every season; soaking up the summer sun, winter snow, spring blossoms, and autumn leaves. Year after year, I’ve visited to stargaze over open canyons, watch the sunrise from a natural hot springs, and hike through some truly breathtaking vistas. And still, that magic hasn’t faded.
Now I want to share that with you by offering you the opportunity to elope in this incredible natural area.
The Eastern Sierra is a wild and ecologically diverse part of California. Every season has it own beauty to boast and it’s the perfect place to elope for so many reasons:
- You want something that looks like Montana or Colorado in terms of epic, vast mountain landscapes and alpine lakes
- You want that desert, Joshua Tree vibe while being under the shadow of the lower 48’s tallest mountain
- You want to add snow or water sports to your elopement day (think snowshoeing, paddleboarding, and more!)
- You want to have an early morning soak in a hot spring before you get married
If you read any of those points and thought it sounded like just what you’re looking for, read on to find out how to have your best wedding day ever in the Eastern Sierra.
Where Elope in the Eastern Sierras
Where you elope in the Eastern Sierra really depends on what kind of views you’re looking for.
- Lake Mary: A beautiful lake just minutes from the town of Mammoth Lakes, California. In the summer, the golden sunsets are an amazing experience after kayaking and paddle boarding on the lake. In the winter, you can snowshoe to the lake and even walk on top of it!
- Mammoth Mountain: Yes, you can get married in this popular skiing and snowboarding spot! During the summer, you can take the gondola to the top and get married at 11k feet. Pretty cool, right?
- Convict Lake: This small lake is surrounded by towering mountains. When the wind is calm, the lake looks like a plate of glass. Better still, it’s easily accessible in the summer. In the fall, it’s the ideal spot to be married surrounded by yellow changing leaves.
- Alabama Hills: This spot might as well be the southern welcome to the Eastern Sierra. This popular camping spot is filled with boulders, rock formations, and arches—all with a few of Mount Whitney, the tallest mountain in the lower 48.
Benton Hot Springs: Perfect for couples and guests who are down to camp. Benton Hot Springs is a resort where you can soak in a public or private tub. Trust us when we say, hot springs are an amazingly relaxing experience.
These are just some of many places to elope. Others are closely held secrets I’m happy to share with my clients. All of them offer exquisite photo opportunities for adventure couples on their wedding day.
Have a specific location in mind? We can guide you through the process of obtaining permits, choosing dates, what activities to do, and more.
Timing Your Perfect Wedding in the Eastern Sierra
When it comes to the Eastern Sierra, there’s no bad time to visit. So deciding when to elope is totally up to you and what season vibe you’re looking for.
Want your photos to showcase gorgeous yellows of fall color and temperate days?
- Elope in late Sept - early Oct.
Want warm, green summer days and perfectly starry nights?
- Elope in July and August.
Want iconic snowy views and don’t mind the cold temps and a few road closures?
- Elope in January and February.
Whichever you choose, it’ll be spectacular because the Sierras are beautiful year-round.
However, you should know that certain areas are closed during certain times of year. This usually isn’t too tough to navigate and the rules are sensible. But it helps to communicate with your photographer. The same goes for secret spots to reduce the amount of foot traffic in a certain area.
Ready for Your Intimate Wedding in the Eastern Sierra?
Picture this—Before your epic elopement, you dip into a warm hot spring. You watch the sunrise with your soon-to-be spouse. Maybe you’ll have your first look at an epic alpine lake. Maybe you’ll say your vows over a river-filled canyon. Maybe you’ll backpack all morning and have your ceremony on a towering mountain top.
Whatever you decide—it’ll be a perfect day. How could it not be? You’re on an adventure with the love of your life in one of the most delightful places on earth.
We hope to see you there!
Planning on getting hitched in the mountains? Contact Love and Latitudes Photography to book your wedding or elopement shoot today!
Eastern Sierra Elopement Packages
+ Full or half day photography coverage.
+ Planning and vendor services included.
+ Assistance choosing locationa, with you and your guests needs in mind.
+ Online gallery with 500+ high-resolution photos.
+ Option to download all images, purchase prints online for personal use.
+ Photographer travel fees included, minus permits.
+ Up to 25 attendees for elopements, 100 attendees for weddings.
+ Optional officiant services.